9.28.2010

dear bug,

It's been a long while since we've had an honest and thorough conversation.  It makes me glad to know that you'll still respond to my text messages or Facebook posts, no matter how brief your responses are.

***

How is the weather up there?  I hope you've been blessed with weather as beautiful as it is here.  It's only September in Texas, but it's already cool outside.  When I walked outside yesterday I wasn't really sure where I was, because I would've sworn to anyone there would be an unbearable heat waiting for me.  Days like today are the reason I love autumn.  It's always been my favorite season.  I regret that we didn't get to spend a fall together, at least not in the way that I think we both would have enjoyed.  I have fond memories of riding my bike with friends, playing in the leaves, exploring nature.  I love to take walks with someone on these days, learning about every facet of their character, or even just walking in silence, knowing that the cool breeze that blows is brushing past both of us.  There is something unifying in that.

Spring is always the time when people fall in love, or at least that is the portrayal I've seen.  To me, autumn has always been the most romantic time of all.  I've started more relationships in autumn than any other season.  I think November has been the most consistent starting month.  Our relationship was so backward in that sense!  Our summery relationship was wonderful though.  I'd venture to say you are the only girl I've really dated in summer months.

I'm not sure what it is about the fall that makes me fall in love.  It's when things change to a more bare state, and the air gradually gets colder, characteristics commonly associated with death.  I'm not weirdly fascinated with death, but I do think there is a certain beauty in dying.  It's a necessary process at times, one that will allow a subsequent growth.  Everyone must go through it in their proper season.  The caterpillar must give up its grounded life to gain wings, the tadpole exchanges it's swimming for hopping.  An earthquake or a tidal wave destroys a city, and in its place not only are stronger buildings erected, but so are stronger relationships.  Jesus gave his self so that out of his death we might have a life we could only dream of before, and only when I die to myself can Christ live through me.

Outside, that process is in the beginning stages; inside, I'm striving for the same.  There are things I need to shed and let go of and leave behind so that I might grow and take hold of what's next, of whatever God has planned for me.  May you be able to do the same when your season comes.

sincerely,
vm

No comments:

Post a Comment

dear vm,